Being stuck inside for weeks can be incredibly boring--we get it! Good news: if you’re careful, you can safely play some of your favorite outdoor sports.
The best options are sports like golf. You can maintain the recommended 6 feet of distance from others and have your own equipment that no one else touches.
But what about a sport like tennis, or tossing around a football? These might be trickier since the coronavirus can live on surfaces. Here are some sensible precautions:
- Wash your hands before and after
- Maintain at least 6 feet of distance from other players
- Disinfect equipment before and after you play
- If possible, play sports like tennis, where you use a racquet to touch the ball
- Don’t play with anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19 or thinks they may have been exposed
Remember, these rules apply to kids too! If you are concerned that your children may not understand or respect these rules, try a different activity.
You should avoid sports like pickup basketball, anything with large groups, or any sport that would involve close contact. Be creative! There are lots of ways to be safe and still get some fresh air and enjoy your favorite sports.
Last updated April 29, 10:00 pm EST
Science review: JAB, ERS