If we're all fully vaccinated, do we need to quarantine before visits?
No, you don’t need to quarantine prior to travel or a visit if everyone is fully vaccinated. According to the CDC, fully vaccinated people can resume domestic travel. Vaccinated people do not need to get tested before or after travel, or self-quarantine after travel.
People are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 2 weeks after they have received the second dose of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine, or 2 weeks after they have received the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
Per CDC guidance, fully vaccinated people can:
- Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing.
- Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing.
- Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic.
- Resume domestic travel and refrain from testing before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel.
- Refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States.
For now, fully vaccinated people should continue to:
- Take precautions in public like wearing a well-fitted mask and physical distancing. (This does not apply to being outside unless in a large group.)
- Wear masks, practice physical distancing, and adhere to other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people who are at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease or who have an unvaccinated household member who is at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease
- Wear masks, maintain physical distance, and practice other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple households.
Getting vaccinated is the best way to keep yourself and your family safe while doing more of the things you miss and love.
Last update: May 7, 2021 9:07am ET
Science review: JAB, GSN